Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Day 11 Katos to Pessada and Back




There comes a point in a holiday where, if you get to the point of being fully relaxed then every little effort is just that… an effort. I’m under the impression that today is that day.

I’m lying in bed, having slept really well, but desperately wanting more. Unfortunately, that is not going to happen. For the curtains are open, and the window too. A single ray of sunshine cuts diagonally across my bed… and my face.  Ihear a rooster raising the neighbourhood in the ‘not-distant –enough’ distance. I can also hear the acoompanying birdsong. I image, in my dreamlike state that they are not welcoming the new dawn with gladness in their hearts but rather answering the rooster with curses and cries of “What time do you call this?” or “ Pipe down will you!” or “This is a ridiculous time t be awake. Get back to sleep!” with a tone resembling the hecklers from the muppets.

But despite this, I raise with enthusiasm. I’m keen. I’m ready to go. This is the day we head out in our own boat. Admittedly it’s a little fiberglass number with a 30-horse power engine. And despite Cheryl referring to it as ‘a hairdryer motor’ it is actually the largest engine an unlicensed captain is permitted to drive.

We head out and turn right, or starboard should I say. Mark is now officially the captain, especially as he was the only one listening to the 15 minute briefing.
Marcus is perched on the bow, trying to catch the waves with Cheryl beside him and Nicholas immediately behind.

Now that we are moving into deeper water and at quite clip Seb is looking less happy and has found himself a secure spot bobbed down on the deck between Mark and Cheryl. As for me, I’m in the co-piolting position beside Mark. My only real job is to balance the boat out a little with my 85kgs.

I’m facing aft; I do that often, on boats, on trains, on buses. I much prefer the slower pace of the view out the back as opposed to the ‘flashing by in a moment’ view from the front.
There’s a bit of a breeze up and the waves are up a little since we got out into open water, but Mark is steering up expertly.

We find a deserted beach, weigh anchor and plunge into the water. I’m obviously first off, no one stop me, but Marcus is not far behindand after a little coaxing Nicholas plunges in too. There is some splashing around and lots of fun, but Seb is not convinced. He aches for everyone to get back onboard and for us all to head home.
But once I swim, rather ridiculously it has to be said, holding the lunch above my head and heading towards the beach Seb’s nervousness to being overcome by giggling. He just needs a little reassurance from his Dad, a supportive hand or two, and he’s made it to the beach too.

For me the day culminates in the rather fool hardy suggestion that Nicholas and I swim around the rocky outcrop and meet everyone at the boat. I know my own limits in the water. I know how strong Nicholas is in the water and I know if he gets tired I can manage quite a way with him on my back. It’ll be pushing our limits, but not beyond the manageable, It’ll be quite the adventure.

But Marcus wants to come along too. I know he’s a good swimmer in the pool but I’m not sure of his limits in the sea. I’m not sure if he’s a ‘panic-under-pressure’ kinda kid and I know I can’t have them both on my back at once. This is turning into not such a great idea after all.

I could labour the point and explain how the both of them started out strongly  and got themselves past the breakers.
I could tell you how Nicholas did his fair share and only needed a helping hand once or twice. How Marcus ploughed through the water with all his energy that he couldn’t speak at all.
I could tell you how I had Nicholas on my back at one point and how Marcus’ mask filled with sea water at that moment and he had to cling onto me while he fixed it.
I could tell you how my head went under a few times just then and the inevitable “What on earth am I doing?” flashed through my mind.
I could tell you how relieved I was when we reached the rocks of the harbour wall, and even as the waves thrashed us I was delighted that we could rest.
I could tell you how relieved I was at the sight of our little boat coming around the corner. How I realized the three of us had to time our final swim to avoid the worst of the waves.
And I could tell you how relieved I was as Marcus ascended the bow steps and Nicholas and I waited, bobbing in the water.

I could tell you all this, but suffice it to say, it was lovely having a little swim this afternoon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment