Friday, October 10, 2014

Day 12 Place of Dreams




 A slower start this morning. We all emerged from the villa at 10.30am.

We’re meeting Dad and Jeannette at a place called “Dreams”. It’s a little way along the beach. Its found in the opposite direction to the main esplanade, over a meandering stream and a little off the beaten track.

On spotting the sign Mark, his voice thick with sarcasm, “Awwwww, the place dreams are made of,” but the footpath looks more like a Celtic walk in the woods, the sort of place you’d equally likely to pick up cholera or dysentery than a quality English breakfast.

We seem to have taken the proprietors by surprise. Eight in one go seems something of ‘rush-hour’ for them.  I suspected as much for all the tables are laid for romantic couples and only two of them are occupied.
But we’re quickly plied with teas and coffee and orange juice. Which is just as well, it takes a little while for them to get organized to take our order and even longer to make and present the four English Breakfasts, one Greek yogurt, a beans on toast and an extra jam and toast. No rush… this is Greek island time after all.

While we wait I notice quite a library of well thumbed paperbacks adorning three shelves. Clearly people are used to waiting.

It reminds me that I was hoping to bring Michael Connelly’s latest publication in paperback by now. He’s one of the few novelists I can pretty much guarantee to plough through on an extended vacation and love every page.
Alas, its not available yet and I’ll be waiting until November for that one. He’s not far away, though. I travel half way around the world, find myself in a remote village on a remote island and here he is: ‘City of Bones’, ‘Lincoln Lawyer’ and ‘The Narrows”.

Which reminds me, I must pre-order a signed copy of “The Burning Room” when I get back.

No comments:

Post a Comment